June 7, 2010 - Day Thirty-one

This morning we woke up to the roar of lions. For about half an hour that low, threatening guttural sound permeated throughout the campground. I now had the sights, sounds and smells of Africa all without leaving the confines of my campsite!

We were headed to Orlando, and once again we were lead along toll roads by our GPS. I have to remind myself to take toll roads out of the GPS road choices.

We arrived at the Lake Whippoorwill KOA in southeast Orlando about mid-afternoon. This KOA happens to be one of the money making enterprises of a religious missionary group called The Pioneers. Their website is filled with great photographs of impoverished people throughout the world being assisted via their mission work. But nowhere was there any mention, much less photograph of their phenomenal mansion/headquarters building that abutted the campground.

Late that afternoon we headed to Marianne’s older sister’s home about 10 miles away. Chris and Frank Garland, like us, have been living in their same home forever. And like me, Frank recently retired. He was an accountant of SunTrust Bank,

We got to take the dogs along, and they had a great time playing in the backyard. But in the heat they would begin panting after a short while.

Frank and I picked up some food at a “New York style” Chinese restaurant. I know the difference between New York style of pizza, thin crust, and Chicago style pizza, thick crust, but I never heard this being used on Chinese food. I always thought it was Hunan, Szechuan, or Mandarin, but New York style? Maybe the Chinese had invaded New York while I was on this odyssey and there was a news block-out so I never heard about it. If you know anything about this theory, please let me know via private email, since we’re planning to head through New York in a couple of weeks.

While Marianne and her sister were catching up, Frank and I had a nice conversation as well. Frank is one of the original low key guys, nothing seems to faze him. He even admitted to me that he’d take the wrong road in order to avoid a hassle.

We scarfed up the dinner which was topped off by a scrumptious cherry pie with ice cream. After chit chatting a bit more and watching the dogs romp, we headed back to the campground and our trailer, once again having to pay to use the toll roads. But this time it was only $1 each way since the trailer wasn’t along for the ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment